Any Catholic guardian of young children should make sure that their kids are growing up knowing Scripture. We’ve been looking for a good Catholic children’s Bible to endorse and to suggest to parents, grandparents, DREs, etc.
We looked through a few different options and our favorite Catholic children’s Bible is The Catholic Children’s Bible from St. Mary’s Press.
Why We love it: With hundreds of positive reviews, this beautifully illustrated Catholic Bible comes with 125 featured stories, which come to life in a visual and tangible way for children. The Word, with comic book-like graphics, has a way of engaging the heart and mind to ultimately leave a lasting impression on young kids.
This is not just a collection of a few stories, but a more complete Children’s Bible. In other words, this is not a tiny Bible. It has 2,000 pages and is much more substantial than you’d expect if you just see it online. In fact, here are the basic details, including the age range and grade level:
- Age Range: 5 – 9 years
- Grade Level: 1 – 4
- Paperback: 2000 pages
We think it could also be a good nighttime book for children under 5, and children 10+ can still appreciate it, but it’s on a reading level for 5 – 9-year-olds.
For children learning to read, this is also another way for them to learn/memorize passages, the story of our Salvation, while practicing their reading skills.
The folks who put assembled this version of the Bible did a great job in making sure that this bible kid-friendly by bolding vocabulary words, highlighting the text, and enlarging the spacing.
If you get it on Amazon, you can select a paperback or a hardcover version. So, you have options and can choose based around your preferred price or style. For our kids, we got the hardcover and they love it. It will last through a lot of falls, travel, spills, and so-on.
When we were thinking about good occasions to give this Catholic Bible as a gift, we thought it is ideal for the following:
- First Reconciliation
- Catholic Homeschooling
- Religious Education/Catechist End-of-the-Year Gift
Again, we highly recommend The Catholic Children’s Bible from St. Mary’s Press, and give it a TCG rating of: 5/5 ✪✪✪✪✪
Looking for other options?
There are a few other choices for Catholic Children’s Bibles that we found. We also suggest checking out:
1. The Catholic Bible for Children (Paperback) from Ignatius Press – This Bible is designed for kids that are a little older.
It is smaller in size, but a beautiful design. We trust anything that comes out of Ignatius Press, and this would be at the top of the list.
- Age Range: 8 – 11 years
- Grade Level: Grades 3 – 6
- Hardcover: 238 pages
Pro(s): Quality, Layout
2. My Catholic Children’s Bible (Hardcover) from Saint Benedict Press – Of all of the illustrated Bibles for children, this is probably our favorite design. The artwork is stunning, and is put together very well.
It is a much newer Bible than some of the others, but is only 144 pages. If you’re looking for something smaller, that’s beautiful and well-made, this one would be a great option. We also want to point out that it does a great job introducing children to Scripture, with an explanation on why Scripture is important in the Church, and it reinforces the love of God for children.
Pro(s): Stunning Artwork
3. New Catholic Picture Bible (Hardcover) from Catholic Book Publishing Company – This 232 pages kids Bible is great for the younger kids in the family. We’ve seen this Bible in many homes and know that it will last over time. It is great for bringing to Mass and on the road without the fear of it getting ruined.
- Age Range: 5 – 6 years
- Grade Level: Preschool – Kindergarten
- Hardcover: 232 pages
Pro(s): Low Cost, Well-Made
4. Catholic Baby’s First Bible (Hardcover) from Regina Press – We believe in introducing the Word of God at an early age, and this Bible does a great job. This is a Catholic Bible for toddlers, and up. It even includes the Our Father, Hail Mary, and ten popular stories:
- Age Range: 2 – 5 years
- Grade Level: Preschool – Kindergarten
- Hardcover: 20 pages
Pro(s): Toddler Catechesis
5. The New Catholic Illustrated Bible (Hardcover) from St. Benedict Press – As promoted, this collection tells the story from the beginning of Creation through the Last Judgement. This is a very impressive design with a modern look, that we love.
We noticed that there is an easy-to-read lay-flat binding, which is a great addition, and gold-foil details that is ornate.
- Age Range: 4 – 8 years
- Grade Level: Kindergarten – 3
- Hardcover: 325 pages
Pro(s): Beautiful Design
Do you have a favorite Catholic Children’s bible that you’d recommend?
Let us know!
If you’re looking for other gifts for your Catholic child, check out our article Best Mass Toys And Kits For Little Children (Great Gifts!). In that article, we share great toys that you can get for children to teach them about the Mass and the a church building.